Monday, August 23, 2010

Following the Fad: Today's Fashion Gripe



Skinny pants are in.....for SOME people.  Just like anything else in the world, everything ain't for everybody.  So why do I see women who aren't skinny wearing things like skinny pants?  And I'm not trying to get on anyone here.  I, myself am an hourglass, and therefore cannot adequately rock the skinny pant.  And you know what?  I'm cool with that.  I wear only what I know looks good on me.  Yet, like sheep, (or lemmings off a cliff), women often want to wear what they think is in.  What's hot.  What's new.  What's the trend right now.  I'm not like that.  I hate wearing anything just because Jennifer Lopez did it in her new movie.  I often wear retro and vintage reproductions and just about anything that flatters my frame.  It may not be what the celebs are wearing, but hey, I've got to do me.

Why do people obsessively follow fashion fads, even when it's obvious (or not so obvious to the wearer) that it is a style that just doesn't work?  I cannot tell you the number of fashion don'ts I have spied around Chicago, trying earnestly to look "in" and cool, even when it is apparent that they'd look so much better wearing something else.  And who is complicit in this treachery?  Why aren't mothers, sisters and best friends saying to these women, "Girl, please don't wear that in public."  Who is lying to them and saying "Hey, those pants are really cool," only to chuckle inside as muffin top, bulges and other unsightly horrors push themselves into the consciousness and eyesights of everyone within ten feet.  And I repeat:  I am NOT skinny.  I am more Beyonce/Buffie the Bod than I am Jennifer Aniston.  It's not about being skinny, as even the slimmest of women, if wearing the wrong size, style, or fit can experience these things.  And yes, I know women who are full figured and yet they can outdress even the most obsessive fashionista any day.

It's about embracing who YOU are.  Accepting yourself, regardless of weight or size.  Because honestly, there are a lot of skinny fashion don'ts walking around Chicago too.  But sometimes instead of creating a long and enviable silhouette, the styles they wear come off as skeletal and anorexic.  So anyone and everyone has a unique and specific body type that they must flatter and adorn.  You have to figure out what works for YOU, and not the latest supermodel/singer/celebutante.  Think about it:  they have a team of stylists, photographers and publicists to mold and sculpt them into the fashion icons they are.  They have teams of people that scour stores and boutiques to find just the right item for them.  And sometimes, even they don't always look good wearing some things.  So don't let them dictate what you should be doing.  Do what's good for you.  Live well and dress well my fellow fashionistas!!!    

2 comments:

  1. great post! I too have seen some MAJOR atrocities in the name of fashion in Chicago, what is UP with us? lol.....have to do better out here in the windy city.

    LOVING your blog too by the way, reading through it now

    http://socialitedreams.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, we have to get it together in the Chi. Thanks, btw, I'm so glad you love my blog!

    ReplyDelete