Friday, August 20, 2010

Dr. Laura and the "n" word: Why can't WE say it?

                                              
                                                 


Dr. Laura's infamous n-word filled rant has been beamed across the country, inciting all the usual pernicious talk (usually those talking are of the paler persuasion) of the n word and when is it "okay" to use it.  Personally, I don't think anyone should use it; it's never "okay" to use it.  But that being said, why should anyone WANT to say it?  It's funny to me that a so-called trained psychologist would ever even deign to repeat a word mired in such hurtful history.  But there you go, she wants to be able to say it too.

Is it about entitlement?  Is it about a small part of people that childishly want to be in on something?  Cuz seriously, if I ever see a group of Asian kids using slurs against each other, it would not in any way endear me to use those same words.  I wouldn't want to.  You know why?  Because those words are filled with a history of suffering that is unique to those people using it.  So I just--would never think to use them.  What is it about racists, errr.....I mean people, who want to use the infamous n-word?  If you ask them, it's about their "first amendment rights," (be able to use racial slurs), and to "exercise their rights as Americans" (use racial slurs when not in the presence of like minded individuals), and to basically do as they please.

But when "doing as you please," means offending other people, shouldn't a line be drawn?  Why would anyone want to offend a group of people you don't even know?  And to add insult to injury Dr. Laura indicated that Black comedian used the word all the time, and it's a "humorous," thing.  And if the caller didn't have a sense of humor, then she shouldn't "marry outside her race."  Um....hold up.  When is it cool for that word to be used, (especially as the caller was a Black woman in the presence of her all white in-laws) and when is it ever funny?  And I never thought that interracial dating was about humor anyway.  It's about people dating, marrying and hopefully loving each other.

And I especially love how the new thing is to brand all complaints of racism as "hypersensitivity."  I have heard things like "You people are too sensitive,"  "You all need to relax and take a joke."  No, I don't.  I don't have to do anything I don't want to do.  It's MY right as an American.  It's my right to be respected as an individual, as a human being and not be told that "you people," (what people is that?) "are too sensitive."  I don't go around shouting anti-semitic slurs at the tops of my lungs, or disrespecting other people's culture or religion.  You know why?  Because I have been taught to respect other people as I myself would like to be respected.  Bottom line.

No comments:

Post a Comment